- Stir together flax and water, and let sit for 10
- minutes to make a "flax egg".
- In a separate glass, stir together the milk and the vinegar, and let sit for 10 minutes to make "buttermilk".
- Mix flour, sweetener, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the liquid ingredients (buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and flax egg) to the bowl and stir until well combined.
- If using the optional apple, add it now.
- Let the batter stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Scoop the batter into the pan using a 1/4 cup / 65ml measure.
Yields: 8 pancakes; enough for 2 people.